For mothers with SMI (Serious Mental Illness), child custody can be lost even though their relationship with their spouse is fine. Even so, there are many ways that can be done to prevent loss of custody. Aside from that, if you wish to see whether your ex-partner is serious in taking care child of your child or not, just hire a reliable private detective.
For mothers with mental disorders, there are several ways that can help prevent the loss of child custody, such as:
1. Visit a psychologist/psychiatrist regularly. A permanent visit to a psychologist/psychiatrist can also help mothers with SMI to remain stable and prevent the return of mental disorders. Regular visits to psychologists/psychiatrists can also be used as legal evidence that the mother has tried to maintain her mental state as well as possible.
2. Understanding the mental disorders experienced and subtleties. Mothers with SMIs need to know a clear picture of mental disorders experienced. Know the symptoms, ways to stay stable, and what might trigger the disorder to recur.
3. Pay more attention to your physical and mental health. Mothers often forget to take care of themselves because they are too busy taking care of their children. For mothers with SMI, it is important to know the strategies that can be done to stay physically and mentally healthy. The right diet, enough sleep, meditation or regular exercise can be ways to maintain a person’s mental health.
4. Pay attention to the signs of the return of mental disorders. Mothers must be sensitive to signs that indicate the possibility of the disorder will recur. When signs begin to appear, it is important for the mother to consult with a psychologist/psychiatrist to prevent the worse symptoms.
5. Write down the crisis plan. Mothers must have a crisis plan that can be used just in case one day a mental disorder owned by a mother relapsed and was forced to be hospitalized. The plan includes the name, address and telephone number of people who can take over parenting if the mother is hospitalized. Make sure the plan is written neatly and conform to the parties involved in the plan. Then, you must update the plan once in a while.